The New Jersey Highlands Coalition, in association with the Morris Museum, is proud to announce its 5th Annual Highlands Art and Photography Exhibit featuring the landscapes, flora, fauna, natural, cultural and historic resources of the Highlands of NY, NJ, PA and CT.
Artists are invited to submit work for an exhibit to be shown this Winter at the Morris Museum in Morristown, New Jersey. Winning entries will be shown in a special exhibit at the Museum which will run from January 9 through February 18, 2018. There will be an opening reception on Thursday, January 11 from 5:30-8:30 PM, at which time prizes will be awarded.
This year, thanks to a generous donor, first prize will be $500; second prize $300 and third prize $200. Other prizes will include gift certificates for framing and printing. Selections from both exhibits will be featured on the New Jersey Highlands Coalition website and social media sites. Prize-winning images will accompany press releases to be sent to prominent NJ publications. The three top prize winners also will be shown at Studio 7 Fine Art Gallery in Bernardsville throughout the month of March, 2018.
Two-dimensional art and photography featuring the landscapes, flora, fauna, natural, cultural, or historic resources of the Highlands of NY, NJ, PA and CT will be accepted for jurying. Some three dimensional work will also be considered (please see Guidelines section below).
Initial digital entries must be received by midnight, Monday, November 27, 2017. Upon notification, accepted work must be delivered, ready to hang, to the Morris Museum during museum hours (9:00am-4:00pm), from Monday, December 11 until Friday, December 15th, 2017. Accepted artists who are unable to deliver their work at that date can make arrangements to drop off at a separate location earlier that week (see below). All work must be picked up at the Morris Museum during business hours from February 19 until February 23rd, 2018.
By submitting images, each entrant agrees to the following:
- Entrants must be 18 years of age or older and must be legal residents of the United States. Employees and Trustees of New Jersey Highlands Coalition and their immediate family members are not permitted to enter.
- Initial entries must be in digital format (see How To Enter below).
- Each submission must feature the flora, fauna, landscapes, natural, cultural or historic resources of the Highlands of NY, NJ, PA and CT, or flora and fauna typically found in the Highlands. (Images of individual plants and animals from outside of the Highlands will be accepted as long as the species depicted is commonly found within the four-state Highlands Region.) Please note that New Jersey’s Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge and Wilderness Area is considered part of the Highlands due to its location. Thus, any work featuring the Great Swamp will be accepted.
- Work selected for exhibit must be delivered, ready to hang, to the Morris Museum by Friday, December 15th, 2017, at 4:00pm. Accepted artists who are unable to drop off at that time can make arrangements to drop their work off earlier that week at Dwight Hiscano Gallery on Mt. Kemble Ave, Morristown/Harding. Please contact Dwight at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
- All work must be picked up at the Morris Museum between February 19 and February 23rd, 2018. All work must be framed, wired, and ready to hang or it will not be accepted. All work must be wrapped, boxed or otherwise protected to enable easy transport. Please use a reusable cardboard box, a reusable portfolio or a reusable bubble wrap pouch. Please DO NOT use excessive amounts of packing tape; your packaging will be reused and handlers must be able to easily pack and unpack each piece. All packaging will be returned with each work.
- Artists are encouraged, but not required, to offer their work for sale at the Exhibit. If they chose to do so, proceeds will be split 70/30, with 70% of the sale price going to the artist and 30% going to the New Jersey Highlands Coalition.
- Work must be limited to 25 inches on its longest side when framed. Accepted work will include photographs (color or black and white), original paintings, drawings, pastels and mixed media. Original wall sculpture and carvings are accepted as long as each piece is suitable for hanging and extends no more than 4 inches from the wall when hung. We are, unfortunately, unable to accept free standing sculpture at this time.
- Photographs must not be heavily manipulated; only minor burning, dodging, contrast and color adjustments are permitted. Photographs employing heavy use of High Dynamic Range will not be accepted. Heavily manipulated photographs or portions of photographs may be accepted as “mixed media” only if another medium is employed in the same piece.
- All work must be the property of the entrant; entrant must be the copyright owner and the work must not infringe on the rights of others. Submitted work must not contain any offensive, sexually explicit, or inappropriate content.
- Work depicting any recognizable person or persons must be accompanied by a signed model release. (Please see this article for more information regarding model releases.)
- Entrants will retain copyrights to their work. Entrants acknowledge, however, that by entering this competition, they grant the New Jersey Highlands Coalition the right to reproduce, distribute, and display all work submitted in any form in connection with the Exhibit, or for promotion of the Exhibit. Full credit will accompany any image used for these purposes.
How to enter
The fee to enter is $20.00 for up to three images. Please pay your registration fee via this link to Paypal.
- Artists may only enter once, and may enter no more than three images.
- Submissions are accepted by email only and must be sent to email@example.com along with a copy of your Paypal receipt for the entry fee.
- All images must be submitted in digital jpeg format. Each image must be 72 dpi, sized no more than 1280 pixels on its longest side, and must not exceed 2 megabytes.
- Images must be labeled with entrant’s last name, first name, image number, and title (ex: Smith_John_1_Sunrise_Lake_Hopatcong).
- Submission must include the following information in the body of the email: entrant’s name, email address, physical address and phone number, followed by a caption list that corresponds with the numbered images. Caption list must also include outside/framed dimensions of each piece, its medium, and location if in the Highlands and/or species depicted (remember, it must be native to the Highlands Region).
- If offered for sale, the price for each piece must also be included.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.