I would like to …
If you prefer to donate by check, please mail it to: New Jersey Highlands Coalition, 508 Main Street, Boonton, NJ 07005
The Watershed Society
The success of our mission is greatly dependent on the generosity and engagement of our members. It is only with your continued support that we are able to work to preserve the abundance and quality of our water and other natural and cultural resources within the Highlands for generations to come. Membership in the Watershed Society is open to those who have made long-range commitments of support for the Coalition. By considering a legacy gift to the Coalition, you become part of a heritage that has, and will continue to, help protect this pivotal region, the New Jersey Highlands, from continuing urban sprawl and ill-conceived and poorly planned development and the resulting degradation of its vital natural and cultural resources
There are many ways to incorporate NJHC into your financial and estate planning:
• A bequest by will or living trust
• A gift of a life insurance policy
• A gift of retirement plan assets
• A charitable gift annuity
• A charitable remainder trust
• A charitable Lead Trust
By supporting the New Jersey Highlands Coalition with a planned gift, your membership in the Watershed Society helps assure the financial strength of the organization, enabling the Coalition to safeguard and defend this critical region. Your tax-free charitable donation assures the Coalition the financial resources that allow us to strengthen operations and grow. For more information on how you can create a legacy of support and protection for this wonderful geographic region of our state on which so many depend for clean drinking water, please contact Julia Somers at 973 588-7190 or Julia@njhighlandscoalition.org.
You could double or even triple your gift without shelling out an additional penny. Ask your employer if the company has a corporate gift matching program. It’s pretty easy and all it takes is reaching out to your companies Human Resources department to complete an online application or paper form.
What To Do:
1. Fill out a matching gift form from your employer
2. Mail it in the reply envelope with your donation.
If you’ve already made a donation, mail the matching gift form to:
New Jersey Highlands Coalition
Attention: Gift Matching
508 Main Street
Boonton, NJ 07005
Fax it to (973) 588-7192 or e-mail to email@example.com
If you volunteer with us, your company may also offer a volunteer grant program.
A donor-advised fund (DAF) is like a bank account for your charitable giving. It’s one of the easiest ways to give and grow what you have to give. Here’s how it works:
• You contribute funds to your DAF.
• You decide how they’re invested.
• You grant funds to the charities of your choice.
• Contributions are tax-deductible, and your investment grows tax-free.
Use this information when you designate a grant:
Legal name: New Jersey Highlands Coalition
Tax ID: 68-0636424
Address: 508 Main Street Boonton, NJ 07005
When you give, please let us know so we can thank you personally.
Follow these easy steps:
If your donor-advised fund’s sponsoring organization is participating, you may recommend a gift to New Jersey Highlands Coalition via DAF Direct.
1. Select the sponsoring organization from the “Donate now from” field (as long as your DAF’s sponsoring organization is participating.)
2. Enter the amount.
3. Click on the “NEXT” button to proceed to the sponsoring organization’s website to complete your donor advised fund transaction.
A benefit of donating stock or mutual funds is that you receive charitable donation credit for tax purposes for the full face value of the stock. This is especially valuable if the stock has appreciated significantly since you purchased it. Donating stock also allows you to avoid capital gains tax.
Step 1: Donate stock
Provide your broker with the following information:
Name of Account: New Jersey Highlands Coalition
Name of Broker: Morgan Stanley
Tax ID: 68-0636424
The Account: 615-041699-178
The DTC: 0156424
Securities can be gifted to the New Jersey Highlands Coalition by electronic transfer, in which your broker transfers shares using the New Jersey Highlands Coalition’s DTC number. The New Jersey Highlands Coalition is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Tax EIN: 68-0636424. Donations are tax deductible to the extent allowable by IRS regulations. We recommend that you consult a tax professional and/or financial planner with specific questions.
Step 2: Notify us
When your stock or mutual funds are transferred to our account we do not receive any information that identifies you as the donor. We wish to ensure all gifts are properly received and acknowledged, so please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 201-788-3080 and provide the name of the stock, number of shares, your name, and address.
If you prefer to donate by check, please mail it to:
New Jersey Highlands Coalition
508 Main Street,
Boonton, NJ 07005.
IMPORTANT: The check must be Payable to New Jersey Highlands Coalition and include the fiscally sponsored organization’s name or acronym in the MEMO line of the check.
If you have a life insurance policy that has outlasted its original purpose, consider making a gift of your insurance policy to the New Jersey Highlands Coalition. For example, you may have purchased a policy to provide for children who are now financially independent adults.
Benefits to you of gifts of life insurance:
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction
- If the New Jersey Highlands Coalition retains the policy to maturity, you can receive additional tax deductions by making annual gifts so that we can pay the premiums
- If the New Jersey Highlands Coalition cashes in the policy, you will be able to see firsthand how your gift supports our charitable work
- If we retain the policy to maturity, or you name us as a beneficiary, once the policy matures, the proceeds of your policy will be paid to our organization
How to make a gift of life insurance
To make a gift of life insurance, please contact your life insurance provider, request a beneficiary designation form from the insurer and include the New Jersey Highlands Coalition, Inc. (tax ID 68-0636424) as the beneficiary of your policy.
Use a charitable IRA rollover and make gifts to New Jersey Highlands Coalition count toward your minimum distribution requirement while also excluding the transferred amount from your taxable income.
If you are 70½+ years old, you may be able to give all or part of your minimum required distribution to charity and thereby avoid paying income taxes on that amount, up to $100,000. There are some stipulations, such as that these contributions cannot go to a donor advised fund.
To qualify, the donor must meet the following requirements:
- You must be 70 ½ or older
- The transfer must go directly from your traditional or Roth IRA to Amnesty (401(k), 403(b) and SEPs are not eligible).
- Your gift cannot exceed $100,000 per year
- Your gift counts toward your required minimum distribution
- You will pay no federal income tax on your distribution. However, the distribution is not reportable as income, so you will not receive a charitable income tax deduction for the gift. Discuss these with your tax planner as state taxes may still apply
- Please note that transfers to charitable remainder trusts, gift annuities, donor advised funds, and private foundations do not qualify.
Benefits to you of gifts of retirement assets:
- Avoid potential estate tax on retirement assets
- Your heirs would avoid income tax on any retirement assets funded on a pre-tax basis
- Receive potential estate tax savings from an estate tax deduction
How to make a gift of retirement assets:
To leave your retirement assets to the New Jersey Highlands Coalition, you will need to notify your plan administrator that you would like to name New Jersey Highlands Coalition (tax ID: 68-0636424) as a retirement plan beneficiary. Your estate, if taxable, will benefit from an estate tax charitable deduction for the gift.
More on gifts of retirement assets:
Did you know that 60%-70% of your assets upon retirement may be taxed if you leave them to your heirs at your death? Another option is to leave your heirs assets that would receive a step up in basis, such as real estate and stock, and give the retirement assets to the New Jersey Highlands Coalition. As a charity, we are not taxed upon receiving an IRA or other retirement plan assets.
As always, we recommend that you consult a tax and or financial professional with any specific questions.
This information is not intended as legal or tax advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney or tax advisor. Figures cited in any examples are for illustrative purposes only. References to tax rates include federal taxes only and are subject to change. State law may further impact individual results.
Please review our gift acceptance policy before donating property.
By joining the New Jersey Highlands Coalition you are joining a powerful platform of like-minded organizations with which you can network, share experiences and promote your mission. In addition to supplying a unique forum for the exchange of ideas, the Coalition assists its members directly by providing support and access to information and resources that can aid them in accomplishing their own missions. Your membership also reinforces the Coalition’s extensive legislative advocacy and public outreach efforts to build a sustainable Highlands, now and for the future. If the New Jersey Highlands mean anything to you and if you want to see northern New Jersey’s water supply and other resources protected, please get involved now.
Our Affiliate members include grassroots, regional, statewide and national groups; located both within and outside of the Highlands. An Affiliate member organization automatically holds a seat on our Policy Committee, which meets regularly to discuss and determine the focus of the Coalition’s work. Through this forum, Voting Members play a vital role in formulating the direction and work of the Coalition. Associate members enjoy all of the benefits of Affiliate membership but do not have the added responsibility of attending Policy Committee meetings and of voting.
RIGHTS, BENEFITS, AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Benefits available to all Coalition members:
• Subscription to Highlands Lookout
• Monthly Coalition Email Update (optional)
• Coalition Action Alerts (optional)
• Access to Special Reports
• Access to Archival Materials
How membership benefits your organization:
• Networking Opportunities
• Increased visibility
• Voice in Trenton
• Eligibility for Coalition Small Grants Program
• Promotion of your special events Coalition newsletter, website, e-news (as appropriate for associate members)
• Access to Coalition materials to distribute to your membership
• Access to Coalition expertise and advice