Join the New Jersey Highlands Coalition for our first Highlands Hike-A-Thon!
Taking place in the beautiful weather of spring in New Jersey, together we will protect the stunning and ecologically vital forests, clean water, scenic viewsheds, wildlife, habitats, farms and other natural, historic and cultural resources of the New Jersey Highlands!
We can’t wait to see where Explore the Highlands takes you!
This event is your chance to get outside and walk, hike, run, bike, or paddle for a great cause. (Don’t like the outdoors? Too many bugs? Get your friends to challenge you on your Peloton or indoor trainer!) This is a DIY virtual event. However, we will be connected through the RunSignUp platform and through #ExploretheNJHighlands on Instagram.
Proceeds will support the work of the Coalition, which represents a diverse network of organizations — small and large, local, regional, statewide and national — and individuals. Our mission is to represent their common goal to protect, enhance and restore the New Jersey Highlands and to preserve the quality and quantity of drinking water for the 6.2 million people who depend on Highlands water.
Turn your passion into purpose. Please consider fundraising for this event through your personal networks on our behalf. Your efforts will help protect the places you love where you hike, bike, and paddle. There are prizes associated with various fundraising goals.
- Any participant who raises over $1,000 can choose three of the following:
- VIP tickets to our upcoming Fall Car Trek and Passport Pubcrawl
- A guided hike in the Highlands
- A two hour paddleboard excursion for two at Monksville Reservoir, paddleboards provided
- Full map set (a total of 11 maps) from the NY/NJ Trail Conference
- Any participant who raises over $750 can choose two of the following:
- Tickets to our upcoming Fall Car Trek and our upcoming Passport Pubcrawl
- A guided hike in the highlands
- A two hour paddleboard excursion for two at Monksville Reservoir (paddleboards provided).
- Any participant who raises over $500 will receive:
- Tickets to our upcoming Fall Car Trek and Passport Pubcrawl.
- A personal guided hike or ride with the Highlands Coalition.
- The two hikers/bikers/paddlers to track the most miles will receive:
- Northern New Jersey maps from the NY/NJ Trail Conference
- Prize from our community partners TBD
We also have a variety of prizes for participants at the top of these categories*:
- Freewheeler Award – For the biker who rides the most miles
- Riverkeeper Award – The paddler who floats the most miles
- Highlands Rambler Award – The hiker who runs/walks the most miles
* (Make sure you log your miles on the bike, trail and river in a user friendly app (Strava/ RideWithGPS, etc.) so we can verify your distance)