8th Annual Highlands Juried Art Exhibit
The New Jersey Highlands Coalition is proud to announce its 8th Annual Highlands Art and Photography Exhibit featuring the landscapes, flora, fauna, natural, cultural and historic resources of the Highlands of NY, NJ, PA and CT. This year the title of the Exhibit is “Our Natural Heritage”.
Artists are invited to submit their pieces to this exhibit to be displayed in a newly renovated gallery space in Boonton. Digital entries must be received by midnight (11:59PM), August 16, 2021. Artists accepted for exhibit will be notified by August 1st, and should have their work framed and ready to hang by September 28th to be displayed through October in the gallery
For updated information about this exhibition visit the official Exhibit Landing Page.
To Register & Submit Artwork you can use this Online Form.
There will be a reception at the Boonton gallery space on Friday, October 1, from 6:00-8:30 p.m., where prizes will be awarded. Thanks to generous donors, there will be a Grand Prize of $500, in addition to Second Place and Third Place awards of $300 and $200 respectively. Other prizes will include gift certificates for framing, printing and local events.
The three top prize winners also will be shown at Studio 7 Fine Art Gallery in Bernardsville.
Selections from the exhibit will be featured on the New Jersey Highlands Coalition website and social media sites, and in a dedicated virtual exhibit hosted by the New Jersey Highlands Coalition. Prize-winning images will accompany press releases to be sent to prominent NJ publications.
Two-dimensional painting, drawing, pastel, mixed-media and photography featuring the landscapes, flora, fauna, natural, cultural, or historic resources of the Highlands of NY, NJ, PA and CT will be accepted for jurying. Abstract images are also accepted as long as they are inspired by the Highlands.
How to enter:
The fee to enter the Adult Category is $20.00 for up to three images (Youth Category entries are free-see below). Please use this link to the New Jersey Highlands Coalition’s website to make payment of the fee through PayPal (applicants must indicate in the memo line that the donation is “for the Art Exhibit”.
There is no fee for entering the Youth Category but artists under 18 will be limited to one image only.
Submissions are accepted by email only and must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. See below directions for how to submit artwork.
Artists will be informed if accepted to the exhibit by August 1st
Rules for entry:
By submitting images, each entrant agrees to the following rules:
- All entrants 18 years of age or older will be classified in the Adult Category. All artists under 18 years of age will be entered into the Youth Category.
- Employees and Trustees of the New Jersey Highlands Coalition and their immediate family members are not permitted to enter.Initial entries must be in digital format (see How To Enter).
- Submissions may be abstract or non-abstract, and may include mixed-media, photography, paintings, drawings, or pastels.
- Each submission must feature or be inspired by the flora, fauna, landscapes, natural, cultural or historic resources of the Highlands of NY, NJ, PA and CT, or flora and fauna typically found in the Highlands (images of individual plants and animals from outside of the Highlands will be accepted as long as the species depicted is found within the four-state Highlands Region). Please note that New Jersey’s Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge is considered part of the Highlands due to its location and any work featuring the Great Swamp will be accepted. For more information about the Highlands Region Click Here, and for more details about the New Jersey Highlands Click Here.
- Initial entries must be sent as low-resolution JPEG files (details below). However, Winning Artists must be ready to send high-resolution files suitable for press releases upon notification (JPEG files, sized to 10 inches on the longest side, with a resolution of 300 dpi). All Finalists- those artists whose work is accepted for the exhibit- must have their work framed and ready to hang for the exhibit by late September (date TBD.)
- The three prize-winning pieces-Grand Prize, First Place, and Second Place – must also be available for exhibit later at Studio 7 Gallery in Bernardsville (date to be decided). Upon notification, the three winning pieces selected for exhibit must be delivered framed, wired, and ready to hang by the date designated by the gallery.
- Artists are encouraged, but not required to offer their work for sale. If they chose to do so, proceeds will be split 70/30, with 70% of the sale price going to the artist and 30% going to the New Jersey Highlands Coalition.
- 2-dimensional work must be limited to 30 inches on its longest side when framed. Accepted work will include photographs (color or black and white), original paintings, drawings, pastels and mixed media.
- Photographs must not be heavily manipulated; only minor burning, dodging, contrast and color adjustments are permitted. Heavily manipulated photographs or portions of photographs may be accepted as “abstract” work, or part of “mixed media” work if another medium is employed in the same piece.
- All work must be the property of the entrant; entrant must be the copyright owner and the work must not infringe on the rights of others. Submitted work must not contain any offensive, sexually explicit, or inappropriate content.
- Work depicting any recognizable person or persons must be accompanied by a signed model release. Entrants will retain copyrights to their work.
- Entrants acknowledge, however, that by entering this competition, they grant the New Jersey Highlands Coalition and Neo Art Gallery the right to reproduce, distribute, and display all work submitted in any form in connection with the Exhibit, or for promotion of the Exhibit. Full credit will accompany any image used for these purposes.
Directions for submitting Artwork:
- PLEASE FOLLOW DIRECTIONS: All images must be submitted as attachments in digital jpeg format. Each image must be 72 dpi, sized between 1,000 – 1,600 pixels on its longest side, and must not exceed 2 megabytes.
- PLEASE ENSURE THAT PAINTINGS, DRAWINGS, AND OTHER 2-D WORKS ARE WELL PHOTOGRAPHED. Work should be evenly lit with accurate colors and even borders. Please avoid artefacts such as shadows or reflections when photographing your work. Poor reproductions of your work will decrease your chances of being accepted.
- Images must be labeled with entrant’s last name, first name, image number, title and medium (ex:Smith_John_1_Sunrise_Lake_Hopatcong_Photograph).
- FOR YOUTH CATEGORY ENTRANTS (under 18 years of age), pleaselabel entries with artists’s last name, first name, image number, title and medium followed by “Youth.” (ex:Smith_John_1_Sunrise_Lake_Hopatcong_Photograph_Youth).
Submissions must include the following information in the body of the email:
Submission list with corresponding label information from above for each piece must include:
Title of Artwork,
and “Youth” if under 18.
Please include the location for each piece and/or species depicted (remember, it must be native to, or inspired by, the Highlands Region).
Submissions must also include entrant’s email address, physical address and phone number.
Artists must include a copy of their Paypal receipt with their submission.
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.